About Me

My photo
I was created to glorify God. Each day is a new opportunity to do that through the choices I make.

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Well, Hello there!

It is day 20 of this second round of Whole30 style eating.  Some things have been easier this time.  Knowing what to cook and experimenting with new recipes has been nice and my family has even enjoyed several recipes without too much pain and whining.  Seriously, they have adjusted well to the limits.  They are not as limited in choices as I am, but we are all eating healthier and that's nice.

I have not been as strict with myself this time.  It's really been more of a lifestyle change than a food plan.  I have still lost 12 lbs and I feel better physically - from less pain in my arthritic joints to sleeping more soundly at night and waking up feeling rested rather than rusty!  Win win.

God continues to stay close.  He lets me know when I make wrong choices, but He also shows such grace and patience.  In February, I'll add some things back into my diet but it won't be a whole lot different.  I made that mistake the last time and once you add those things back in on a regular basis, it's easy to fall away from what's healthy.  I want to be a lot more careful this time and pay closer attention to what certain foods do to my body.

I was just listening to "He's been Faithful to me" by Damaris Carbaugh and the Brooklyn Tabernacle choir.  It says so well my feelings in this second round...

"He's been faithful, faithful to me
looking back, His love and mercy I see
Oh in my heart I have questioned
even failed to believe
yet He's been faithful, faithful to me"

I'm so grateful for His never ending faithfulness...My favorite Psalm is Psalm 121
121 lift up my eyes to the hills.
    From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
    who made heaven and earth.
He will not let your foot be moved;
    he who keeps you will not slumber.
Behold, he who keeps Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.
The Lord is your keeper;
    the Lord is your shade on your right hand.
The sun shall not strike you by day,
    nor the moon by night.
The Lord will keep you from all evil;
    he will keep your life.
The Lord will keep
    your going out and your coming in
    from this time forth and forevermore.

Amen and amen...

....and now a word from my kitchen..........

Yummy smashed 'taters

5 large potatoes
almond/coconut milk (unsweetened)
clarified butter or ghee
3 (or more) strips nitrate free bacon
1 TBS minced garlic
1 chopped onion
Chives
parsley

1. peel, cut into chunks and cook potatoes in a large pot with enough water to cover the potatoes
2. While potatoes are cooking, chop garlic and onion and sauté in a little olive or coconut oil. Set aside.
3. When the potatoes are fork tender enough to mash, drain water off
4. add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of the almond/coconut milk and a couple tablespoons clarified butter or ghee (or more if you want to- I won't judge)
5.  Using a potato masher, smash those taters up coarsely so there are some lumps
6.  Add crumbled, cooked bacon, the sautéd onions and garlic, chives and parsley (to taste and to make it pretty) - don't forget the salt and pepper!
7. Mix all together and eat it up!

Serve as a side dish to any lean meat and some steamed veggies! Oh MY!

** IF you have any leftovers, they might be a little dry but if you add some homemade Paleo ranch dressing (I love the ranch recipe from one of my favorite Paleo websites,  theclothesmakethegirl.com ) and heat it up, it will be nice and creamy and have a little 'zing' to boot! 


No comments:

Post a Comment