About Me

My photo
I was created to glorify God. Each day is a new opportunity to do that through the choices I make.

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Letting Go

Week 2 post Whole30.  I am learning that with change comes difficult choices. Those choices may not be popular...such as no longer buying sodas for my family.  If they want a soda out at a restaurant or football game, that's fine.  I just don't need it in the house and neither do they.  Not popular, but it has been accepted.

Another choice was to allow myself a "fun food" day.  This doesn't mean going overboard or undoing all that I had done with Whole30, it just means allowing a day of rest from the regimen to enjoy a treat with my family....like at the football game or if we go to the movies or something on a weekend.  For me, if this is going to be a lifestyle and not a "diet," I need to find a balance.  It may mean that my weight loss is a little slower, but I think it will be more manageable and easier to make it a permanent life style. In Scripture, there were designated times for feasting and celebration.  It wasn't every day, but it did happen. Now, don't get me wrong....I doubt I'm going to weekly go kill a fatted calf or have dancing girls in my living room, but I think if I have popcorn at the ball game or a couple bites of candy then give the rest to my kids it will feel like a treat to me, give me something to look forward to and maybe even motivate me to work harder earlier in the week.

My weight and energy level are adjusting to the add ins and it is starting to feel more normal to eat healthy.  I am trying to exercise as well, even if I only have time for stretching or using the resistance band while I take a break from housework.  The couple pounds I gained last week as I neglected my healthy fats and added in some of the previously banned foods is coming back off and I am paying more attention. Last week was good for me as it showed me how easily it can all go backwards when I'm not planning or paying attention to what goes in my mouth.  Planning and pre packing are a must.  It has to be. No fun, but reality nonetheless.

I am understanding that Jesus has my heart and even when my choices seem odd or unpopular to others, I have to listen to Him.  He declared all foods permissible , but He also reminds us that not all are beneficial. Every day cannot be a "feast" day.  There must be balance.  I need that grace, wisdom and mercy to guide me daily.

"In Your unfailing love You will lead the people You have redeemed.  In Your strength You will guide them to Your holy dwelling." Exodus 15:13

I am working on a song for a retreat this weekend and I love the words.  It speaks so much to where I am at this point in the journey.  I'm grateful for creative writers and musicians who can speak my heart....

Letting Go - by Steffany Gretzinger

You've brought me to the end of myself
And this has been the longest road
just when my hallelujah was tired
you gave me a new song

now I'm letting go
falling into you

I confess I still get scared sometimes
But perfect love comes rushing in
and all the lies that screamed inside go silent
the moment You begin

now I'm letting go
falling into you

You remind me of things forgotten
You unwind me until I'm totally undone
and with Your arms around me,
fear was no match for Your love
now you've won me


Amen and Amen, Jesus. Help me to daily let go.

No comments:

Post a Comment